Update Regarding Covid-19
For us, as for many of you, these days of physically distancing have given us
pause to slow down, to find new ways of connecting, and to listen for the Spirit’s
wisdom in these uncertain times.
We do not anticipate operating at full capacity until we enter into Phase 4 of BC’s Restart Plan (when we have a vaccine, broad community immunity or successful treatments).
However, we are beginning to welcome returning retreatants who have been to the Hermitage several times in the past couple of years and have also experienced a retreat without a host present. We are only welcoming 2 retreatants at one time beginning in August. We are committed to adhering to the highest levels of safety for each other and for our wider community. To that end, we have established protocols for physical distancing, hand washing, use of the kitchen and common areas and expectations for cleaning and disinfecting.
Please note that public transit is available on Bowen Island but there will be no
ride sharing or hitch hiking available. Each person is responsible for their own
journey to the Hermitage.
If you would like to book a retreat, please email your request and we will get
back to you within a few days.
The Rivendell Hermitage is a place dedicated to individuals, silence and solitude. It is the fulfillment of the original two-site vision for the Rivendell Retreat Centre, rooted in the gospel values of Jesus and the practiced traditions of prayer, silence, simplicity and hospitality. It welcomes individuals and small groups who are seeking spiritual renewal, respite and growth.
The Hermitage follows the unique and established model of Rivendell in being accessible to people with limited resources and special needs, and being hosted by a volunteer Christian community. But it follows a separate set of principles:
- Solitude – social spaciousness which allows for freedom to enter into silence.
- Silence – a protected space that encourages attentive listening.
- Spaciousness – a physical, spiritual and natural spaciousness that provides a non-intrusive, non-directive environment for freedom of spiritual expression and creativity. A space that honors life’s rhythms and tensions.
- Soul Hospitality – Welcoming all who seek renewal and healing to a safe and inclusive environment trusting in the generous love of the Creator.
- Simplicity – radical simplicity that respects the land by treating it gently and minimizing our footprint. A simplicity that is humanly and economically sustainable.
- Sanctuary – Nurturing nature’s invisible embrace and beauty, recognizing and providing the opportunity to receive from a living sanctuary.
This website contains information about staying at the Hermitage, as well as the history of its development. We welcome you to share our unfolding journey.
Download the Rivendell Retreat Centre & Hermitage brochure here: Rivendell Retreat and Hermitage brochure