As part of our Covid strategy, we have lowered our occupancy rate to 2 or 3 retreatants at a time with no hosts present. Because of this, we are currently welcoming retreatants who meet all of the following criteria:
- you have had several retreats at the Hermitage in the past 2 years
- you have had a retreat without a host present.
- You agree to follow our guidelines for physical distancing, handwashing and use of masks, as well as the use/cleaning of the common areas while retreating at the Hermitage (we will provide details).
If you meet these criteria and would like to book a retreat, please email your request and we will get back to you within a few days. Our email is: email@example.com
For those who don’t meet the criteria, please monitor this page for changes in our policy as the situation unfolds.
The Hermitage Community
The Rivendell Hermitage is a place dedicated to individuals, silence and solitude. It is the fulfillment of the original two-site vision for the Rivendell Retreat Centre, rooted in the gospel values of Jesus and the practiced traditions of prayer, silence, simplicity and hospitality. It welcomes individuals and small groups who are seeking spiritual renewal, respite and growth.
The Hermitage follows the unique and established model of Rivendell in being accessible to people with limited resources and special needs, and being hosted by a volunteer Christian community. But it follows a separate set of principles:
- Solitude – social spaciousness which allows for freedom to enter into silence.
- Silence – a protected space that encourages attentive listening.
- Spaciousness – a physical, spiritual and natural spaciousness that provides a non-intrusive, non-directive environment for freedom of spiritual expression and creativity. A space that honors life’s rhythms and tensions.
- Soul Hospitality – Welcoming all who seek renewal and healing to a safe and inclusive environment trusting in the generous love of the Creator.
- Simplicity – radical simplicity that respects the land by treating it gently and minimizing our footprint. A simplicity that is humanly and economically sustainable.
- Sanctuary – Nurturing nature’s invisible embrace and beauty, recognizing and providing the opportunity to receive from a living sanctuary.
This website contains information about staying at the Hermitage, as well as the history of its development. We welcome you to share our unfolding journey.
Download the Rivendell Retreat Centre & Hermitage brochure here: Rivendell Retreat and Hermitage brochure