We are pleased to announce that the Hermitage has reached its first stage of completion and is open to retreatants from November 15th, 2014.
This blog follows the movement of the Rivendell Hermitage from rugged forested land to welcoming retreat community. Each page (About, History, Land, Main House, Hermitages, and Sanctuary) covers a different aspect of the development. Instead of regular blogs, pages are updated to tell our story as it unfolds.
The Hermitage, as a site particularly dedicated to individuals, silence and solitude, is the fulfillment of the original two-site vision for the Rivendell Retreat Centre. Rooted in the gospel values of Jesus and the practiced traditions of prayer, silence, simplicity and hospitality, it will welcome small groups and individuals who are seeking spiritual renewal, respite and growth, and will be accessible to people with limited resources and special needs.
The Hermitage, following the unique and established Rivendell model, will be hosted by a volunteer Christian community but guided by a separate set of principles:
- Solitude – social spaciousness which allows for freedom to enter into silence.
- Silence – a protected space that encourages attentive listening
- Spaciousness – a physical, spiritual and natural spaciousness that provides a non-intrusive, non-directive environment for freedom of spiritual expression and creativity. A space that honors life’s rhythms and tensions.
- Soul Hospitality – Welcoming all who seek renewal and healing to a safe and inclusive environment trusting in the generous love of the Creator.
- Simplicity – radical simplicity that respects the land by treating it gently and minimizing our footprint. A simplicity that is humanly and economically sustainable.
- Sanctuary – Nurturing nature’s invisible embrace and beauty, recognizing and providing the opportunity to receive from a living sanctuary.
We invite you to share our unfolding journey.